Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Vacation!

Ahhhh... 

We're one week into our vacation (Foxy's been calling it a "Fake-ation" since she's having to work) and so far what I'm enjoying most is the weather! Today we reached a (contested) record high back home. 111°F! Who can even live like that? That's what I want to know.

Here in Western Mass we've been having highs in the 80s and nights cool enough to sleep comfortably without air conditioning (unheard of in the summer in Kansas!). I must say, we timed this well.

I haven't been taking a whole lot of pictures (a few I've posted on instagram and my personal facebook page) because I'm too busy enjoying the time with my girls. So far there's been roller skating, beach-going, ocean swimming, sun bathing, lobster-roll-eating, planetarium-ing, ice cream licking, Pictionary playing, wine drinking, garden gazing, playground-frolicking, long-walking, and lots of laughing.

It's been quite a change of pace for me compared to the whirlwind weeks leading up to this trip. I miss being in my studio terribly, but I suppose it's also good for me to have the time away so I'll appreciate it all the more when I get back to the bench (especially now that it's my full time job!! Eeek!)

Speaking of being in the studio, here is a shot of the custom order that kept me working until the very night before we left:


A very special order for some very special friends (who happen to be minding the zoo at this very moment! Thank you M, P, & A, for taking such great care of our house and pets!!). Three acorns for a mom and her two daughters. A special set of matching necklaces to mark the closing of one chapter of their lives and the start of another.

It ended up being quite a challenge, technically, but in the end was *so* worth it. I am really, really pleased with the results (as were, I believe, the recipients). Plus I learned some new techniques and finally got to work with amber for the first time.

~~~

Two more weeks before we head back to the surface of the sun. I mean Kansas. I'm sorry, fellow Kansans, I don't mean to rub it in. But damn. 111? Yuck.


2 comments:

  1. hope you're going to make some more of these acorns when you come back from fake-ation -- they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous. Congrats on becoming a full-time artist. I'm wishing you all the best for much success!

    ReplyDelete